Burke, Fairfax and Fairfax Station, Virginia
Brushing and flossing every day are very important to your oral health. The loss of just one tooth can ruin your smile, as well as your bite function. For these reasons, it is important that you get this taken care of as soon as you can.
People lose teeth for a variety of reasons, including:
- Injury or trauma to tooth or teeth
- Tobacco use
- Diabetes or other disease
- Periodontal (gum) disease
- Poor diet
- Poor oral health
- Teeth grinding
One of the solutions to missing teeth Dr. Marzban offers her Burke area patients is dental bridges.
What are Dental Bridges
There are three types of dental bridges:
- Traditional dental bridges – The most common type of bridge, these have an artificial tooth (pontic) anchored to the neighboring teeth (abutment teeth) with metal wings. Each adjacent tooth is given a dental crown to support the bridge. It is also possible that people missing more than one tooth will have more than a single artificial tooth placed on the bridge.
- Cantilever dental bridges – This type is used when there is only one adjacent tooth next to the missing tooth or teeth
- Maryland bonded bridge – Plastic teeth and gums are supported by metal, and metal wings are placed on each side of the bridge and bonded to the existing teeth using resin.
The benefits of dental bridges include:
- Restoration of your smile
- Restoration of bite function
- Restoration of ability to eat and speak properly
- Keeping existing teeth from drifting out of alignment
Having a dental bridge placed takes two visits. However, once your bridge is placed, no one will be able to tell you have had dental work performed as the color is matched to your natural teeth.
If you are interested in finding out more about dental bridges and are in the Burke, Virginia area, please contact experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Marzban to set up a consultation today.
© - All rights reserved / Website Design, Development, and Optimization by Page 1 Solutions, LLC