In your 20s and 30s, your dental health remains vitally important, and it will be important throughout your lifetime. Strong, healthy teeth help you maintain the optimal function of your teeth. And a healthy, cared-for smile is a beautiful smile.
You will continue to face the risk of some of the same dental problems you faced as a child and a teenager. Some of the main dental concerns for adults under 40 are:
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay remains a threat past childhood. A good oral hygiene routine and regular dental visits are the best ways to prevent cavities.
- Gum disease: Inflammation of gum tissue is common among adults, and can result from not flossing every day and/or not brushing twice a day for two minutes.
- Teeth grinding: Stress and other factors can result in a tendency to grind your teeth while you sleep. Teeth grinding can lead to cracked teeth and jaw soreness. A custom dental mouth guard can prevent grinding.
- TMJ symptoms: Problems originating in the temporomandibular joints can lead to jaw soreness, jaw clicking, headaches and other symptoms. Depending on the cause, a dental mouth guard, full mouth restoration or another treatment may alleviate these symptoms.
- Tooth discoloration: Years of drinking coffee, wine, tea, juice and other acidic beverages can lead to yellowed teeth. So can eating certain foods, smoking and poor oral hygiene. If you want to restore the brightness of your smile, teeth whitening or porcelain veneers may be right for you.
To keep your teeth and gums healthy and for a beautiful smile, be sure to brush twice a day and floss once a day, and visit our dentist for your routine cleaning and exam so we can prevent dental problems from ever arising.
Routine dental visits and preventive dental care remain important throughout your life. For dental care from an experienced dentist near Fairfax, please contact Pamela Marzban, DDS, to schedule an appointment at 703-323-8200.