The porcelain material used in dental crowns is very durable, providing you with a long lasting restoration that can protect your tooth for many years. That being said, dental crowns will typically wear out at some point and need to be replaced.
In general, you should expect your dental crown to last 5-15 years. When properly cared for, they can last significantly longer. In some instances, crowns have lasted 25-30 years. This durability makes a dental crown an ideal solution to repair issues such as cracked, broken or severely worn teeth.
The actual lifespan of your crown will depend on two factors:
- The amount of stress placed on the crown
- Your oral hygiene routine
Actions that create stress on your dental crown can cause it to fail sooner than expected. These include:
- Grinding your teeth
- Biting your fingernails
- Opening bottles or plastic packages with your teeth
- Chewing on ice
Similarly, a poor oral hygiene routine can create issues which shorten the lifespan of your dental crown. If you don't brush and floss properly, it can lead to tooth decay beneath your crown. This may create a need to replace the restoration sooner than normal.
You can protect your dental crown and extend its lifespan by:
- Brushing twice a day for at least 2 minutes and flossing at least once a day
- Brushing carefully in the region where the dental crown meets your gum line
- Refraining from biting on hard objects which may damage your teeth and place unnecessary stress on your crown
- Wearing a night guard while you sleep if you grind your teeth
During your regularly scheduled dental checkups, Dr. Marzban will evaluate the condition of your dental crown to make sure it is still functioning properly. If she determines that it needs to be replaced, she'll advise you as to the next steps in the process.
Please contact Dr. Pamela Marzban using the form on this page or call 703-349-4277 today to schedule an appointment. We serve patients in Burke, Fairfax, Fairfax Station and throughout Northern Virginia.