Teeth whitening is one of the most common ways to brighten your smile. However, this treatment isn't right for everyone. Your teeth become stained for a variety of reasons, and not all forms of tooth discoloration respond well to whitening treatments. Fortunately, you have other options to brighten your smile. If you're not a good teeth whitening candidate, Dr. Marzban can help you achieve the dazzling smile you desire through porcelain veneers.
Porcelain veneers are tiny shells of dental porcelain which get bonded to the front surface of your teeth to improve their appearance. Veneers can be used to address a wide range of smile imperfections, including tooth discoloration.
The following types of tooth stains typically do not respond well to teeth whitening:
- Discoloration caused by physical trauma to your teeth
- Discoloration caused by the use of certain medications such as tetracycline antibiotics
- Age-related discoloration that occurs because your dentin (the layer of tissue below the surface of your tooth) becomes darker as your enamel gets thinner
If you experience these issues, porcelain veneers may be the best option to achieve your whitening goals. During an initial evaluation at our dental office in Burke, Virginia, Dr. Marzban will determine whether veneers are the right course of action for you.
Even if you are a good teeth whitening candidate, you may still want to consider porcelain veneers as an alternative. Some of the benefits you'll receive by choosing veneers include:
- The dental porcelain used in your veneers is resistant to stains and will help you maintain a bright smile for the life of the restoration
- Porcelain veneers are a permanent restoration, ensuring the results will last much longer than those achieved by a teeth whitening treatment
- Veneers can address several smile imperfections at once, allowing you to transform your smile with one procedure — improve the appearance of worn, misshapen, unevenly sized or crooked teeth at the same time you brighten your smile
If you would like to find out whether porcelain veneers are the right option to revamp your smile, please contact Dr. Pamela Marzban using the form on this page or call 703-323-8200 today. We serve patients in Burke, Fairfax, Fairfax Station and the surrounding areas of Northern Virginia.