Having a bright smile is an important element to how you are viewed by others. This is why many people choose to use tooth whitening to brighten their smile. There are benefits to having your teeth whitened with either in-office or at-home whitening treatments.
But before going to a whitener, you should know the possible causes of the stains so you may address the problems leading to your discoloration.
Some of the leading culprits in tooth discoloration include:
- Aging: as you age, cracks develop in the enamel which can be stained.
- Tannins like those present in red wine stick to teeth.
- Acidic foods soften enamel which make teeth more susceptible to staining.
- Coffee: it is high in acids and chromogens (a high pigment compound that sticks to teeth).
- Tea: one of the worst things for your teeth color because of it's acidity and tannins.
- Food dye like that in bright colored candy.
- Sodas, even those that are light in color, damage teeth.
If you consume any of these items and would like to avoid tooth stains, then rinse your mouth out with water or brush your teeth. When drinking beverages that stain your teeth use a straw to limit exposure.
Even after avoiding these substances, your teeth will lose their bright shine as you age but there's few things you can do for a whiter smile. If you have chipped or cracked teeth, porcelain veneers are a great option. You may also consider a tooth whitener.
Choosing a tooth whitener – benefits of office tooth whitening
- Effectiveness: in-office tooth whiteners are stronger which allows for better and quicker results.
- Comfort: the formula can be altered, tailoring it to your needs such as tooth sensitivity.
- Safety: being under the care of a professional is safer then at home treatments.
If you are in the Fairfax, VA area and would like to whiten your smile, contact Dr. Pamela Marzban at 703-323-8200 to schedule an appointment.